See Great Fish at our monthly meetings!
- A chance to show off your favorite Cichlids
- Different fish every month. See our schedule.
- Monthly Cash Prizes
- Fish are judged by GCCA judges
- All members/guests in attendance vote for their favorite Cichlid entry for People's Choice.
Bowl Show Rules
- Entrants must be members in good standing of the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association (GCCA) in order to participate.
- The entrant must also supply the correct name of the fish to be shown. There is no limit to the number of entries per member; however, discretion is requested.
- Species to be shown will be designated each month by the bowl show chairperson.
- Any type of flatsided container is acceptable for showing fish. Containers will be limited to 5 gallon capacity, unless a very large fish is shown. Gravel, plants, shells, ornaments, or fancy lighting is allowed but may not affect the judges scoring. Any color background is acceptable.
- Fish may be shown singly or in pairs. A pair of fish constitutes one entry.
- All containers must be labeled with the scientific fish name. No other names or identifying marks will be allowed.
- Each entrant is responsible for supplying air (pumps, tubing, and extension cords) to his/her own containers if needed.
- A minimum of two judges will be selected by the bowl show chairperson from non-exhibiting members or guests in attendance. In the event of a tie, a third judge will be selected to judge the entries in question. Decisions of the judges will be final.
- Cash prizes are as follows:
Place Points 1st place $50 2nd place $10 People's Choice $10
- People's Choice is a separate award allowing all members and guests in attendance to participate in selecting their favorite entry without the dictates of a formal judging. Voting is accomplished by secret ballot. In the event there is only one entry, no People's Choice ribbon will be awarded.
- No Hybrids allowed but line bred fish are allowed