See Great Fish at our monthly meetings!
- A chance to show off your favorite Cichlids
- Different fish every month. See our schedule.
- Monthly ribbons; plaques annually
- Fish are judged by GCCA judges
- All members/guests in attendance vote for their favorite Cichlid entry for People's Choice.
Bowl Show Rules
- Entrants must be members in good standing of the Greater Chicago Cichlid Association (GCCA) in order to participate.
- The entrant must also supply the correct name of the fish to be shown. There is no limit to the number of entries per member; however, discretion is requested.
- Species to be shown will be designated each month by the bowl show chairperson.
- Any type of flatsided container is acceptable for showing fish. Containers will be limited to 5 gallon capacity, unless a very large fish is shown. No gravel, plants, shells, ornaments, or tinted water is allowed. A single color background is acceptable.
- Fish may be shown singly or in pairs, except for breeder's choice. A pair of fish constitutes one entry. Breeder's choice entries consist of 5 fry (between 2 and 6 months of age); all will be judged.
- All containers will be numbered and/or labeled by the bowl show chairperson. No other names or identifying marks will be allowed.
- Each entrant is responsible for supplying air (pumps, tubing, and extension cords) to his/her own containers if needed.
- A minimum of two judges will be selected by the bowl show chairperson from non-exhibiting members or guests in attendance. In the event of a tie, a third judge will be selected to judge the entries in question. Decisions of the judges will be final.
- Bowl show points are as follows:
||8 bowl show points
||4 bowl show points
||2 bowl show points
||1 bowl show point
In the event there is only one entry in a category, it will be judged and placed according to the total number of points awarded by the judges. (With two judges, 41 to 50 judging points = 1st place, 31 to 40 judging points = 2nd place, 21 to 30 judging points = 3rd place, 11 to 20 judging points = 4th place). For any entry not in the top four places, the entrant will receive one bowl show point per entry, not to exceed two points per category, per month.
- Members who accumulate 21 points in a year will be awarded a plaque.
- People's Choice is a separate award allowing all members and guests in attendance to participate in selecting their favorite entry without the dictates of a formal judging. Voting is accomplished by secret ballot. In the event there is only one entry, no People's Choice ribbon will be awarded. People's Choice points are accumulated on a yearly basis, and the member with the most points will receive a "People's Choice of the Year" plaque at the holiday party.
- Raffle tickets will be issued for each entry.