Meeting February 2020: Christine Neumeyer
A Journey Downriver: From the Amazon to Your Aquarium
Christine Neumeyer is a co-owner of Freshwater Exotics, a company which imports wild caught South American fish.
Freshwater Exotics is dedicated to supplying the U.S. market with wild caught fish. A strong belief in supporting the wild caught ornamental fish industry has taken Christine on a lifelong journey of discovery and continuing education.
By sharing her journey and business endeavors with hobbyists, breeders and enthusiasts, she hopes to enlighten hobbyists as to why wild Amazon fish are not only sustainable, but how this industry supports the environment and economy in the Amazon.
This informative and eye-opening lecture will include captivating footage and photos accompanied by a firsthand narrative of what we experienced during our month spent in the state of Para and Amazonas, Brazil in November of 2018.
Our ambition in sharing this experience is to acquaint you with how the supply chain functions and to allow you to gain insight into this little-known aspect of the wild caught ornamental fish industry.
- Glimpse firsthand how wild ornamental fish are collected
- Discover what happens between the time they are collected & transported downriver
- Join the fish on their journey downriver to the export facilities
- Tour export facilities and gain insight as to how ornamental fish are cared for and treated before being shipped to the U.S.
Guests are always welcome at our meetings, however after your third visit we do ask that you officially join the club.
- Presidents commentary and business affairs - (~10 minutes)
- Discussion & overview of upcoming events ( ~5 minutes )
- Introduction of any new members (~2 minutes )
- Short Break (10 minutes)
- Speaker (~ 1 to 1.5 hours)
- BAP Auction (~15 minutes)
- Members Auction (Did you know you can auction your fish off any meeting for a fee of $2 per bag to the club, max three bags)
- Dry goods raffle (2 minutes)
- After meeting networking and questions (unlimited)
- Food / Dinner after meeting at Portillo's (30 minutes)
Meetings generally are at 6PM on the second Sunday of the month, unless otherwise noticed, so please check our Events Calendar.
Mini Auction and Donations are allowed at each meeting.
- Active members are allowed to auction off fish first two dollars for each bag will go to the club
Each meeting is attended by 25-50 people typically. The meeting starts with a welcome from our President and some business affairs may be discussed. We usually ask if there are guests present, raise your hand and tell us what kind of fish you keep!
Following business, there is a short break when you can meet other attendees, take a look at the fish that are available for sales, buy raffle tickets for aquarium goods and see the fish in our Bowl Show.
After the break, a speaker or other program is presented. We bring in speakers from all over the US and other countries. These speakers are usually an expert in cichlids or an aquarium-related topic. The talk usually lasts about an hour.
Following the talk, we announce the raffle winner and begin the auction of fish.
If you like fish or cichlids, you should come to the next meeting.
Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago North Shore Suites
1400 Milwaukee Ave,
Glenview, IL 60025
|Event Date||02-09-2020 6:00 pm|
|Event End Date||02-09-2020 9:00 pm|
|Location||Renaissance Suites - Glenview|